Parent Association Meeting Notes
Call To Order @ 6:00pm by Co-Presidents (Michelle & Saralinda)
PA Board introductions and Welcome
- Father’s Take Your Child to School on 9/18/17 had 116 families participate;
- Results of parent survey:
- Increase communication between all stakeholders (PA, SLT, PC).
- In the future, parents will be notified child’s class and teacher(s) prior to first day of school.
- On the first day of school, all parents will have the opportunity to meet their child’s teacher(s).
- Acknowledgement of TCCS website (enhanced by Francine Lane, Co-treasurer); video footage compliments of Mr. Christian (TCCS parent).
- Acknowledgement of PA support via the school supply grant; encourage parents to submit payment.
- Grade 3 STEM Partnership – Turner 2000 (architect firm) will work with students and teachers once/month using a STEM curriculum and students will create an end of the year project.
- Grades 4 – 6 is still using Salvadori once/week.
- Parents support the shopping component.
- Requesting donations to add to shopping store.
- Can harvest be used in school?
- Laurie Kindred will create a “write up” on the use of the harvest.
- Parent volunteers needed for lunch duty.
- Must be fingerprinted by NYCDOE and cleared; once parents are cleared, they can submit information to Mrs. Verdiner.
- No background checks needed for parents attending school trips.
- Swimming program @ PS 125 will begin for 2nd graders on 9/26/17; program is a 2nd grade curriculum.
- Comment regarding types of field trips.
- Trips should be curriculum-related and/or have some connection to curriculum.
RTS and TC Club After School Overview
Ms. Cox (TC Clubs) & Jasmine (RTS)
- After school begins on Monday, 9/25/17
- TC Clubs – M, W, F – 3:00 – 5:00
- TC Clubs – All students must be signed out; TCCS experienced tremendous growth in this area last year and would like it to continue.
- RTS – Ms. Jasmine – upon dismissal from TC clubs, students will transition to RTS
- RTS – question regarding the minimum number of days a student can attend. As per Ms. Jasmine, she is willing to work with all parents to ensure after school support.
Parent Coordinator Intro
Ms. Leona Guerrido expressed her desire to learn and willingness to work with all parents.
- Committees: Review of committees
- Each committee will have a committee chair and “mentee”.
- Multicultural Committee – Saralinda
- Suggest parents share information, events, etc that will help to build engagement for this committee;
- Request for parent volunteer to provide translation services (letters, parent-teacher conference).
Please volunteer as a class parent!
School Supply Drive
Update on the total and explanation of the difference between supply drive and PA dues
Currently, at about $5100 in contributions, we have received a little more than half of the 9000 grant
- Parents are encouraged to continue to make donations.
- Not the same as a PA dues, which will be later in the year
- No amount is too small.
- Treasurer Report – Co-treasurer Francine Lane:
- Merchandise store will be up and running on 9/25/17
- Propose for funding for the arts – how to spend (PV)
- Establish operating reserve funds for PA – need to vote on and add to by-laws
- Wednesday Coffee Socials and upcoming events